Tuesday, July 31, 2007

DD-214 - Important Document

As a veteran it is imperative that you keep copies of your DD-214, Report of Transfer or Discharge from Military Service. This is a critical document for obtaining VA benefits. The DD-214 is a report of one's transfer or discharge from military service. If you do not have this document we recommend you take action to obtain a copy for your records as soon as possible.

If you have a current situation which does not allow you sufficient time to obtain this document speak to your Georgia Department of Veterans Service representative in Newnan at 770-254-7260.

Obtaining Copies of your DD-214
If you are a:
- A military veteran or,
- Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military (The next of kin can be a: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother).
Go to: www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/
Phone: 866-272-6272

Another Resource is the
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Mo 63132-5100
Phone: 314-801-0800
Fax: 314-801-9195
E-mail: MPR.center@nara.gov
Status Check: MPRStatus@nara.gov